Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Night Mawlana Matiur Rahman Nizami became a “Bird of Paradise”



The Night when my father Mawlana Matiur Rahman Nizami became a “Bird of Paradise” (may Allah grant him). Dua of a Mujahid on His Journey towards Martyrdom:

[Shaheed Mawlana Matiur Rahman Nizami, the Ameer of Bangladesh Jamaat e Islami, was executed by the oppressive ultra-secularist regime of Bangladesh on 10th May 2016. This is an account of his last meeting with his family members just before his shahadah. The meeting took place at Dhaka Central Jail on 10th May 2016 at about 8 pm. This is written by Dr. NaeemurRahman Khaled, the third son of Shaheed Nizami. Shortly after this meeting, Mawlana Nizami was executed by hanging. ]


Just before Maghrib prayer [on 10th May 2016], the Prison Authority called Mithu (Mawlana’s Personal Assistant) to go to the jail to visit him. They refused to specifically mention if it was the last meeting before his execution by hanging. Amidst the uncertainty in our minds, we set out for Central Jail in three cars.

26 family members entered the central jail after passing through crowds of journalists and undergoing security screening procedures. There we received the letter, issued by the Prison Authority and then it was clear to us it was going to be a farewell meeting with my father. We were taken to the room of my father in the condemned cell. The name of the block was "Rajanigandha" and my father was in the last room (room number 8) of the cell block. The room was only 8 feet by 8 feet in dimension without any windows. The only opening was a grilled door in one side with a little front yard.

My father was praying on a green prayer mat facing towards the qibla and opposite to us. He was reciting dua in Arabic with clarity and mildness. The sound was neither too loud nor too muffled. There was a little pause in between words as per his usual habit as we have been seeing since our childhood. A little brown cat was sitting beside him quietly, it seems like the cat was also praying to God along with him. Muaz (Mawlana’s 3 year old grandson) climbed up the stairs and said, "Grandpa, we are here. Open the door". My dad finished his prayer calmly and stood up. Looking at us, he came near to the door and said, "You all came? Is this then the farewell meeting?"

My sister emotionally said at that time, "It may not be the last meeting if Allah wills otherwise". The overall environment suddenly immersed into deep emotion and my dad himself was consoling everyone and asked everyone to be patient and steadfast! He shook hands with everyone from the other side of the bars. He was wearing a white panjabi and lungi at that time. His dresses were wet as he was perspiring due to the hot and humid weather in a windowless room, but his face was bright and calm. There was no sign of anguish or anxiety in his complexion. Who would even say that, soon he is going to be unjustly executed by the oppressive regime!!


Not everyone could see him as he was inside the bars. The Prison Authority responded to our request and opened the gate. My dad came out of the bars and sat on a white plastic chair in the front yard. At first, he asked about the well-being of everyone in his usual manner. Just after that, he made his position clear about the mercy petition saying, "The Jail superintendent asked me if I would apply for a mercy petition after reciting the verdict of dismissal of review petition. I replied that I did not commit any crime and there is no question of a mercy petition to the president as seeking mercy implicitly means confessing to the crime. Moreover, The Owner of the life and death is only Allah and I don't want to lose my Imaan by seeking clemency from any human being."
Today, in the afternoon (10th May, 2015) DIG of Prisons came to me and asked me to give a written statement regarding clemency from president. I clearly wrote that I would not seek any mercy or clemency."

At that time, a highly emotional scenario was created there. My dad was advising everyone to be steadfast and patient over and over. I haven’t seen tears in my father's eyes. Also, he never seemed like emotionless or rude. Rather it seems that a tranquil soul is waiting eagerly to meet his Glorified Lord.

All the family members except my mom came out for a while so that; my father can talk to her alone in private. My mother was trying to give him courage and was expounding the high status of martyrs in the sight of Allah. She also added, "We will also testify to Allah that you were an honest and pious man. You never committed any crime." On the side, my dad advised my mom to play the dual role of mom and dad to all the sons and daughters after his demise. And stated: "You would find me in the personality of our sons and our daughters".

After that, we all entered in that room again. My father gave us naseehah (advice). He said, "All of you (siblings) shall always live harmoniously, follow the path of Allah and His Prophet (s.a.w.) and take care of your mother. You will find me in your mother. And also make sure that your mom finds me in you. Describe me to the people as you saw me. Do not exaggerate. My age is 75 years now. Most of my colleagues and co-workers did not get such a long life and you got your father alive for a long time. Life and death is destined by Allah. If Allah wills me to die tonight, then I would have died even if I had stayed at home. Always be optimistic about Allah's mercy and also be thankful to Allah."

We took our children to him and reminded him that three of his grandsons were named after him and also sought his du'a (prayer) so that they can be like him. My dad replied, “I am praying for them so that they become greater than me, like the companions of prophet (s.a.w.)."

He then told us a relevant story. Once a great ‘Alim (scholar) asked his son, "What is your aim in life?" He said, "I want to be a great scholar like you". Listening to it, the scholar started crying. When he was asked the reason of crying, he said, " I wanted to be like Hazrat Ali (RA:) and now you can see the difference of knowledge level between me and Hazrat Ali (RA:). Now if you would want to be like me, and then think, how far you can go."

"Momen (Mawlana’s second son) is greater scholar than me as I take reference from him very often on different issues."

We said, "We could not do anything for you". He replied, "You can only try but the ultimate decider is only ALLAH alone. Many of my younger friends and co-workers have died already. Allah could have destined death for me much earlier. Without participating in any war, if Allah awards martyrdom that will be a huge fortune for me."

Then he went onto a new topic of discussion. He urged us to convey his salam and thanks to all leaders and workers of the Islamic movement and also sought everyone's du'a (prayer) so that his martyrdom is accepted by Allah (SWT).

My mother said, "Allah has honored you in this world, and insha Allah (if Allah wills) will honor you in the hereafter as well". My dad then responded saying, "I was a very ordinary man from the village. Allah's blessing now made the whole world and great scholars of the world express their du'a, anxiety and concern for me. Sheikh Hasina did not attend the OIC's conference as there was supposed to be discussion regarding my release. All those are huge mercy and blessings from Allah (SWT)."

We requested our father to intercede for us in the court of Allah so that we can re-unite in the jannah (paradise) again. He said, "Do righteous deeds required in attaining jannah, then insha Allah you can get there."

He then raised two hands for prayer along with us for about an hour on our request. He started with the praise of Almighty Allah and sending the blessings and salutation (Darud) upon prophet (s.a.w.) and then for first 20 minutes recited the du'as taught by prophet (s.a.w.), as he used to do throughout his whole life.

Then he prayed to Allah saying, "Ya Allah, I am an ordinary sinful person. Please accept all my good deeds and all those works, you enabled me to do for the sake of your deen (religion).Make me firm on the path of imaan (faith) and Islam till death and grant me martyrdom. Ya Allah, make me and my descendants workers to establish Salah (Prayer) and forgive me, my parents and all believers on the Day of Judgment."

"Ya Allah, bless us with the firm belief and make us truly reliant (tawakkul) on you only. Make our tongues be engrossed in your constant remembrance. We are begging for lively hearts that are always afraid of you, useful knowledge, halal provisions, sound minds and a correct understanding of Islam. Ya Allah, give us ability to repent before death, comfort us in the time of death, bestow your blessing of forgiveness upon us after death and exempt us from the hellfire."

"Ya Allah, enable us to stay content with the halal only and thus refrain from the haram (forbidden things in Islam). Make us obedient to you throughout our life and keep us away from a least of your disobedience and do not make us reliant on anybody other than You only. Ya Allah, give us guidance from your nur (al Quran). You are all knower of our sins, so we are repenting to you for forgiveness and returning to you. Ya Hannan, Ya Mannan."

He also prayed, "Ya Allah, please accept this country for your deen (Islam) and make this country peaceful. Save this country from murder, hooliganism, kidnappings and from imperialism." He also made du'a for the development of the country. During the time of this very emotional prayer, my daughter saw tears in the eyes of some of the jail employees.

My dad asked Momen what he should wear while walking to the gallows. Momen answered, "Wear Panjabi-pajama on that time."

As a physician, I have seen many deaths. I saw many people waiting for death while fighting diseases. I saw shadows of death in their faces, the ardor to live for one more second. But, looking at my father in his last meeting with us, I saw a fearless heavenly man, awaiting and preparing to meet his Lord. My dad had the chance to delay the execution by applying for a mercy petition. Pre-determination of time of death was known to all. But today I saw the real time example of how on earth a man can assimilate that strong faith and welcome the death in smiling face!
Those who interacted with my father know how soft and gentle he was. He used to ask about the well being of everyone, near and far. If anyone fell in any bad situation, he became so worried and would ask again and again about the situation of that person. This expresses his deep affection and love for everyone. He was aware of his own nature, earlier in all of our family gathering, he used to express his anxiety about being strong till the end. But, in his last meeting with us, his calmness, steadiness and reluctance to the allusion of worldly life was amazing!

At the end of our final meeting, my dad asked, “Who will go for funeral prayer in Sathia?" I replied, "I and Momen will be there." In his usual manner, he advised us to travel safely and also urged us to keep Mithu along with us. He forbade my mom to go to Sathia in the night time. Momen was wearing a shirt and pants at the time. He asked Momen to wear a panjabi while leading funeral prayer.

My father's final naseehah (advice)-
1. He enjoined everyone to follow the guidance of Quran and hadeeth and to stick to the path of Allah and his Prophet (s.a.w.). He told us to keep patience and be thankful to Allah at any situation. I cannot remember specifically if he has said anything regarding Salat (prayer) but in his all other earlier meetings with us, he used to encourage Salat (prayer) especially.

2. Then he said, "You will get my final instructions (wasiat) in my written books. He expressedly advised us to read the two books, written while in jail- 'Prophet (s.a.w.) in the light of Quran and Sunnah', 'Adab-e-Jindegi' (Ethics of Life) and a previously written book- 'Life of a believer in the Light of Quran'.

3. At last, he told my eldest sister Mohsina, "My daughter, I am mostly worried about you as you are my eldest child. You were the daughter who called me "abbu" (Daddy) for the first time. Please, be patient and steadfast.” He then told my mom, "I left behind my 6 children and you will see me amidst them. Now, you go and let me see you leaving."

All of us shook hands with my father before leaving. That little brown cat also came up behind us. His bright shiny face was floating in my mind all the time. "Some birds are not meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright."

After leaving the prison, we set out for Sathia. We left behind our father who was still alive to make preparations for his funeral!

Prophet (sa.w.)'s famous hadeeth was frequently coming to my mind at that time " Whenever you are afflicted with any calamity, then remember the greatest catastrophe of loosing me (Ibne Majah).”

This Ummah (nation) has felt the pain of losing the Prophet (s.a.w.),  they can tolerate any other trials and tribulations.”





(This version has been edited for clarity)




No comments: