Monday, February 19, 2018

Tariq Ramadan’s Wife Imad Speaks Out




Tariq Ramadan’s Wife Imad Speaks About Allegations against Her Husband

Tariq went to Paris on the morning of January 31st to answer police questions and since then I have neither heard from him or seen him.
Nothing at all.
We were not allowed to visit him. We have not been allowed yet. The permission was not given. Neither on the telephone or a visit.
Nothing.

He went voluntarily. He had full confidence in the justice system and unfortunately justice has betrayed him.

And so far he has shown exemplary cooperation. He never sought to escape justice. Actually he was waiting for justice to summon him in order for him to be able to give his version of the events. So there is no reason one could imagine, even for a moment, that he wants to escape.

I thought we were in a country where the presumption of innocence was the rule and that he would have benefited from it up to now. I do not understand why they are keeping him and I’m not sure right now that he is getting fair and dignified treatment.

I believe that Tariq has been named guilty since the beginning. It’s that feeling that I have. Just read the press. Just turn on the TV and you would think he is guilty.
I think he is unfortunately the victim of this media lynching due to the political pressure exerted on him. And at the same time there are so many lies that at one point, it cannot be handled that it becomes unbearable.

And that is how it is. I’m constantly torn between the desire to be aware of what is said in the press or TV and then at the same time the desire not to listen to anything, to lock myself in a bubble and convince myself that justice will be done, and that he will come out completely cleared.

For me, all that I have read are false accusations. They are completely erroneous facts that in no way represents him.
For example, the portrait that is made of my husband does not correspond to anything that we know of him, of what I know of him, of what his family knows of him, of what the people who know him, truly know him.

Tariq is fundamentally upright, dedicated, honest and fair man, who cares about others. And seeing him treated this way, for me, is painful.

Today I went to visit the lawyer and I learned very alarming news about Tariq’s physical health. The lawyer said that he was not well. So here, of course I am very worried. You must know that it’s been a few years now that Tariq suffered from a severe chronic illness and needs very specific treatment. The lawyer told us that in prison the treatment he should receive is not available and that worries me a lot.
I think that on the spiritual level, yes, Tariq must be very strong.
I hope so.

Now I know that when one is physically ill, when one suffers from an illness and cannot benefit from the appropriate treatment, at a certain point, the psychological health is also affected.
So for me, what I hope is that he remains strong.

Today I feel obliged to speak up because I am alarmed about his condition and what the lawyer has told me.

I feel very thankful actually to have my children who came to join me here. I have a son and a daughter who joined me, for the others it is indeed difficult for them not to be here. Out of the four two could come.
I feel lucky anyway to have my daughter who accompanies me, who supports me. Sometimes she breaks down, other times I do. Fortunately so far, we have not broken down at the same time. But I know that without her I would not be able to endure everything.

I think Tariq hopes that we will be strong and that we will stand firm in the face of this injustice, in front of everything that is being said in the media because they are trying to smear his image.
They are trying to break us, destroy us, destroy our family. It’s really that feeling we have. They are not trying to destroy just one person but the whole family.

I know that Tariq always tried to protect me. We always tried to protect our family life. We never wanted to expose ourselves. It is a very difficult exercise for me. I am not sure he would approve of it. Even if today we’re not in normal conditions. We are in extraordinary circumstances. I believe basically as in everything I do even if he does not necessarily agree. I know that he will respect my choice and he will think it is the best.

I fundamentally believe in his innocence. In a rape case, if the wife is not next to him, it is intolerable in fact. And so, for me it is obvious to be there and it is an honour to support him today as it has always been in fact.

What I would like to see is him being treated with dignity taking into consideration the presumption of innocence.

I would like him to be free until his trial so that he can defend himself serenely and under conditions other than those which he is in now.


If you want to be informed of the latest events, follow the official #FreeTariqRamadan campaign that will give you all the updates and verified information on the case.

(Imad Ramadan,  16 February 2018)

Translation of Transcript of video at    https://youtu.be/DsxrbcE9iF4

freetariqramadan.com
facebook.com/FreeTariqRamadanCampaign

No comments: